Christmas Bookworm

>> Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I love reading around this time of year. Christmas has always been a good time to catch up on a novel or 4, this year I've been tying up lose ends for books that I've started or always meant to read.

First up: "Dracula" by Bram Stoker, this was a finish up. I read this primarily on my ipod but upon Ryan getting the Kindle Fire saw it was free and I finished up the last 30 pages. Let that sink in. Why on earth would I read it on an ipod? Well I was just excited at the time that ipods now had a bookstore. Lesson learned. The Kindle is awesome for reading on. It will never replace my dog eared copies of books, but its a good way to read all those "I should definitely read that" books.

Second up: "Anthem" by Ayn Rand. I'd never read anything by her before although "Atlas Shrugged" has been on the list for years. It was good, short and another Kindle gimme book.

Third up: "The Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry. Always, always makes me cry but its such a classic and a beautiful Christmas time short story. I've been reading this one ever since a really awesome family friend and advisor gave me a copy when I was either 12 or 14. It really helps to put the value of gift giving in perspective. I love this quote from it

"Maybe the hairs of my head were numbered," she went on with sudden serious sweetness, "but nobody could ever count my love for you.

and then this little gem at the end:

"And here I have lamely related to you the uneventful chronicle of two foolish children in a flat who most unwisely sacrificed for each other the greatest treasures of their house. But in a last word to the wise of these days let it be said that of all who give gifts these two were the wisest. O all who give and receive gifts, such as they are wisest. Everywhere they are wisest. They are the magi."

Its such a magical little story, and like I said it. always. makes. me. cry. Do you have a favorite Christmas story or tale?

Third up: "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. I was never ever able to get into this book as a child and often confused it with "The Cay" or other Lois Lowry books, but I'm happy to say after years of hearing it mentioned in classes, by Ryan and others, I have officially read it. It was good, I knew the jist of the plot before I read it but was constantly surprised by the story line.

Today I'll start Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale". Its surprising, isn't it, that I haven't read this book yet. Well consider it remedied.

After this I want to read Charles Dickens "A Christmas Carol" (Ryan is currently reading it) and "The Mansion" by Henry Van Dyke. What are you reading as a family or on your own this Christmas season?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP