Dystopia

>> Thursday, July 3, 2008


It has been quite an eventful day. Ryan was quarantined up in his office because there was a bomb threat. When I remember bomb threats in my own life they were at Olympus High School, we would get a recording the night before saying “students should not go to school on (the following day) due to a bomb threat the school received.” I laughed at those thinking someone did not want to take a test or turn in a project, however, a bomb threat at a hospital is cruel.

One has to wonder what kind of people would call in a bomb threat to a hospital where sick and dying people are being taken care of. The only characteristic I can attribute to such a person is psychotic.

Nothing was found after two full sweeps. So that is at least peace of mind, but for someone like me, inborn writer and lover of conspiracy theories, my mind says of course they would never tell you if they did find something. The only way the public would find out would be if it was a scare tactic, or if something blew up.

So peace of mind for Angie? This is going in the pro’s and con’s columns of Ryan finding another job. Not really but its another scare happening closer to home.

For 2 hours my brain was tormenting me with possibilities of losing Ryan, it was not fun. I think if I did lose him I would die, something inside of me would break, and I wouldn’t be whole anymore. I joked with him on the phone at one point that it had to be a hoax because if it wasn’t I couldn’t bear it.

This led me to think about the powers of dystopian literature. Dystopian literature is incredibly interesting to read because it teaches the reader a lot about themselves; their hopes and dreams and values and self-worth. A few truly fascinating Dystopian novels are “The Giver” “The Cay” “The Uglies” basically anything written by Isaac Asmivov, “Wicked” by Gregory McGuire and The Grand Inquisitor from “The Brothers Karamazov” by Dosteysky.

When I read “Wicked” we were on a family trip on our way to the Redwoods. I did a lot of growing on that trip due to this book. Many people were beginning the “Wicked” fascination, fanatics were beginning to be everywhere. I liked the music, so I bought the sheet music and decided to read the book. I put it on hold at the library and was not able to get it until the trip, which worked out fabulously. It was a book that nauseated me and made me really dislike the dystopia it presented but I really liked it. The text was shocking and horrifying to the degree that everything soon needed to be seen through that lense.

The idea of telling the villain’s story is intriguing but it was “Wicked” that sparked something more than just intrigue, there was more of an interest in development. Thus I was now forced to choose which interpretation I liked best, the musical, or the book. I choose the book, it’s the first interpretation, and so the musical is a secondary interpretation made for the public masses, to cater to their good triumphs over all mentality.
This was the summer before I started college; when I grew to really become a writer, as opposed to another cog in a machine. Though I have attended many classes and learned many things, I still maintain the critical judgment of movies and other media as I was exposed to in “Wicked”.

4 comments:

Susan July 9, 2008 at 8:14 AM  

hmm. you've peaked my interest. I think I'll have to read 'Wicked' myself. Are you on Good Reads?

Haslam July 9, 2008 at 9:10 AM  

that is kinda scary! I can't belive that. I would have been freaking if it was my husband! Are you talking about the musical wicked? Cause I absolutley hated the book so I thought I would hate the musical but surprisingly I loved it. We are so different but I think we compliment eachother!

A July 9, 2008 at 3:14 PM  

I'm not on good reads, I have checked it out a few times but it didn't stick with me. However, I have really enjoyed Bookish, her post about Twilight and The Sexual Politics of Meat: A Feminist-Vegetarian Critical Theory, was so good and helped me defend my theory of Twilight being more damaging than helpful to the young adult audience it is targeted at...

And thus I am still waiting for the 4th book just like everyone else.

Also, Wicked is not for the squeamish, there was a lot of really graphic material and pretty disturbing happenings. But despite all of that I still enjoyed it and still recommend it.

A July 9, 2008 at 3:21 PM  

It was scary, though not serious, however, working in the University Services Building, it was interesting to see how the hospital handled a bomb threat. This is because the U gets more threats than people realize, but its not publicized, and only the high up people are aware of them.

So the hospital making it public, makes sense because they lockdowned and it is a highly public facility.

We are pretty different but I think thats a good thing. I think we were pretty different even when we were kids. But thanks for the comment.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP