A Style of My Own?

>> Monday, April 14, 2008

This feels a bit ranty, but here goes.

Lately, people have been assuming I am a lot older than 21, around 25 or 26, saying I just seem mature. Anyway, it has been a bit of an age crisis, and because I am ridiculously stubborn when it comes to style anyway, I have been very slow to keep up with the latest trends.

Trends have always been to me a way for people to conform, to be similar and find common ground with each other. What is the point of wearing something unless it is how you want to look? I don’t want to be told my look is not my own individual ownership. I don’t want to feel like I have the same haircut or general style as everyone else.

This brings up a new issue, one that I’ve been dealing with for years; when someone has the same article of clothing as you…

This makes my brain hurt, and makes it awkward, because there is nothing worse than when someone is wearing the same thing you are! However, lately, I’ve been coming to the realization that statistical odds are against me, and when someone has the same thing I do, it should be a compliment, a shout out for good taste, for both of us.

Besides if you have the same article of clothing, you still have your own natural style that makes it yours and if you can’t personalize it, it was never meant to be.

So in order to be 21 again I’ve made some drastic changes. I’m excited about them, and despite the restrictions my decrepit body has put on me, they seem to rather agree with me.

Skinny Jeans

My friend has been bugging me for a bit that if I just tried them I’d like them, and guess what? I love them. I don’t think I will wear them on casual Fridays, but I really like them for weekends. They make the screen print shirts look way better and much more polished.

Heels


When I was 9-10 I was dragged by a truck for 25-30 feet. It sounds stupid, but I was in shock, and the end result was I have permanently screwed up my knees for the rest of my life. Heels have always been a touchy issue, cause I’m 5’ 7” and I’m really clumsy. Giving me another 2-3 inches is just asking for trouble. But I’m getting better at not falling. I still won’t wear heels around campus because I do a fair bit of walking, I walk to work when its nice weather and to classes, and the campus is fairly large so it is still a bit much for heels, my knees will not compromise at all there.

Leggings

I think they only look good with heels and the right dress or skirt (this is on me and not for the rest of the population). But leggings are quite Angie friendly despite my preconceptions.

Bangs

These are not the bear claw bangs of the 80’s but their distant cousin with a much edgier and classic style.

Basically what I have learned from this age crisis is I should not be limited to one specific style for years and years. I should not be afraid to try new things, despite trends sake.

So here I go 21 again.

3 comments:

Brad & Mary April 16, 2008 at 10:32 AM  

Way to go Ange. I suggest taking a lesson from the French. Keep your basics and sylize (trends I mean) with accessories. The French woman does not buy the models entire outfit but rather a piece here and there to show she is not oblivious to the pages of Vogue.

Na May 2, 2008 at 2:40 PM  

Angie. I must say that your blog really made me laugh. It was a good laugh...I think I know who your friend is. I'm glad you still call her a friend. hehehe...I love you!

A May 2, 2008 at 3:18 PM  

yeah well, and this just updated, Skinny Jeans pass the casual Friday test, yeah I know I'm a nerd, but what can we do about it?

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP