Misuse of Some Words

>> Thursday, July 2, 2009

Misusing certain words for me is like a repeated slap in the face. Such as those related to my major and specializations. Its like you are insulting my intelligence and the fact that we are associated. I'd like to think people I am associated with can differ words better than most people. However it has reached a breaking point within me.

This has been going on for months possibly years and so I have to point this out.
Epic is not for the everyday.

As deifined, Epic as a noun is:
1)An extended narrative poem in elevated or dignified language, celebrating the feats of a deity or demigod (heroic epic) or other legendary or traditional hero.
The Icelandic epic took all night to recite.
2)A series of events considered appropriate to an epic.
The book was an epic in four volumes.

Epic as an Adjective
Epic (comparative more epic, superlative most epic)
1.Of, or relating to, an epic.
Beowulf is an epic poem.
2.Momentously heroic
The epic defense was rewarded with the highest military decorations
(slang) Extending beyond the usual or ordinary; extraordinary.
3.The after-prom party was epic. [edit] Adjective
epic (comparative more epic, superlative most epic)

Epics are for a genre and have grossly morphed into a cheapened version of the everyday. So you people who nonchalantly misuse epic, you are destroying it. You are diabolically reducing it to every day slang which are other words that were once also vastly expressive.

So when I say epic what am I describing?

Playing frisbee in the park with friends.
Grabbing dinner somewhere.
A party.
Trying food for the first time.
Watching a movie.

-Or-

The Epic of Gilgamesh
The Iliad
The Odyssey
The Aeneid
Beowulf
The Ramayana
Star Wars
The Lord of the Rings series
The Harry Potter series

The later are my definition of epic. Reserve words for the appropriate situation and place and then I will step off of this soap box. The epics above are beautiful stories with moving characters during a foreign time with adventure and excitement. They are NOT droll everyday experiences. So please, move onto another word to desecrate and leave epics a lone.

And if a moment in time truly deserves to be called epic, such as a wedding or once in a lifetime moments then I can appreciate that. But as it currently stands it is vulgarly used and so this is my call to you to stop.

2 comments:

Brad & Mary,  July 4, 2009 at 8:35 AM  

So is it epic to see the Epic of Gilgamesh in it's stone drawing edition. It is probably a once in a lifetime experience for me?

A July 15, 2009 at 3:52 PM  

Yes, AND I'm super jealous of your pics of the event. I think its awesome in EVERY sense of the word and epically amazing.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP