Thanksgiving

>> Wednesday, November 19, 2008

One week to Turkey!

I don't think I have to go into why this is a most superior holiday and is only overlooked because of the inability to dramatically increase consumerism.

Its my calm before the storm, two days off and then 2-3 more weeks of school. Its the cranberry sauce on my turkey, the stuffing, the creamy beautiful mashed potatoes and Ryan's beautiful "best ever Pumpkin Pie". What can I say the way to my heart is through my stomach.

As a child we were not allowed to mention Christmas until after Thanksgiving around my Dad. We were not allowed to mention presents, Santa, Letters we wanted to send Santa; and now looking back I am glad the Tree didn't go up until the day after Thanksgiving.

I think it instilled in me a sense of gratitude for the forgotten holiday. This year, however, I am dreadfully frightened of what lengths retailers will go to on Black Friday. Indeed, this year when sales are down and Black Friday kicks off the annual boom for their company, it is scary when I see stores closing right and left and I see other chains thriving from their inability to succeed.

So, here is my challenge to myself and to any one else who wants to join. Try to spend your money at the smaller local stores or stores on the verge of closure, why should I funnel my money to a chain that won't put the money back in to my community? So here I am on another of my soapboxes, and on the main blog, but I think its a point that needs to be made. Consumerism is destroying the individuality of communities. And I am thankful for the specialized and local stores with gifts that are not tzitche.

For those going out of business in this hard time, I am sorry and hope you the best of luck.

1 comments:

Maren November 19, 2008 at 10:47 AM  

I will totally join you in buying local! I completely agree.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP