Dixie's Birth

>> Tuesday, June 26, 2012

*I didn't hold back while writing this, blame my pain meds (they are actually pretty wimpy) or just that  this is unfiltered, down to earth Angie.


Ahem


Baby Dixie Ann Meeks was born June 23 at 3:41 in the morning. 6 lbs 2.9 oz 20 in. long. We are so excited to be her parents! Mom and baby are doing well.


Thats what we sent as a text and as a fb post announcing welcoming Dixie bug into our lives.  She's amazing!


Most of you know I was barely 38 weeks and planning on another 2 weeks, my child definitely had other plans.  


I got home from work Friday and went swimming for a few hours.  It was lovely. Got out of the pool, ate dinner, dried off from the pool and was totally relaxed.  Ryan took Link and Odin out and while he was doing so I moved slightly and realized I was totally wet.  I couldn't figure out if I hadn't fully dried from the pool or had an accident, or even if my water had broken.  It was a very confusing moment for me. That was around 7:30 pm.


I went to the bathroom and was held hostage until Ryan came back in.  


He got my phone and my papers and I called my midwife clinic. He packed my bag and we went up to the hospital.  I was in denial the entire time.  I really couldn't believe that I was having a baby.  It finally started to dawn on me when I was getting the epidural around 9:30 pm. 


He tells a much more entertaining version (which is the truth) but I figure I can save some face here on the blog. He started calling people and I think I told him not to because we weren't sure we were having the baby.  (see total denial) But I think its how I kept myself calm, because otherwise I had no idea what to expect.


The midwifes at the hospital talked to me and we figured it would probably be another 10 to 20 hours, but they'd check me around 2 am.


I woke up with intense pain around 1:10 am and the epidural wasn't relieving me of the pressure pain.   Nausea flooded me. And after calling the nurse around 1:30 am they saw that I was dilated to about a 6 or 7 cm.  They called the midwifes on call who got there around 2 and they saw that I was dilated to 9 1/2 cm.  I told them my body felt like pushing and they coached me through.  3:41 am and my baby girl was born.


The experience was harder than I'd ever imagined, but Dixie is totally worth it.  My midwife's were beyond amazing and the staff at the hospital were incredible.  I couldn't have done this without Ryan or them!


*Special Note: I'd always worried about what words would fly out of my mouth while I was delivering and I was surprised that my body, mind and mouth responded with guttural nonsensical grunts and moans.  I'd always thought I'd be swearing like a sailor.  Dixie is also a little grunter and likes to make all manner of sounds.  When she cries its high pitched 'like a mandrake' to quote a friend.  







1 comments:

paxtonfam June 26, 2012 at 8:03 PM  

Congratulations, she is beautiful!!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP