Enigmatic Health Problems

>> Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I’m writing this because it seems the more I talk about this, the easier it is to accept the possibilities and not burst into tears and maybe not that many more people will tallk to me about it. So here goes, let’s start at the very beginning…


When I was younger, I would always have so called ‘episodes’ if I had too much sugar, was too stressed, or just an average teenage girl. I had tests done with results pointing that I did not have diabetes, hypoglycemia, though I had hypoglycemic tendencies. I looked like I had the flu but once I ate something that would peak my energy and then a more solid food, things were ok.


As a result super sweets like hot chocolate, skittles, starbursts and gummi bears (and cupcakes) became a very bitter and disliked item for me. It was embarrassing and humbling having to ask friends to drive me home so I could calm down from the ‘episode’. Ever since I turned 14 this started happening. It scared me, pixy sticks scared me, sugar scared me.



Fast forward to now, I’d adjusted my life to eating snacks every 1 ½ to 2 hours. Drinking water, milk or juice 60% of the time. And my episodes started acting up. At least that’s what I chalked it up to at first.



May 6 2011, I was sitting in the Jon Huntsman Arena watching Jon’s commencement ceremonies, hearing my idol Mitch Albom as the honored guest speaker. And it settled into me, feeling my body shutting down and intense nausea for no apparent reason. I had to leave because I was scared and I limped my way out of the Huntsman Arena in poorly thought out heels and a high waist skirt. I felt a lone, strangled by my garb and I was clammy. Luckily Ryan was able to quickly come get me from the institute and carried me to the car (my hero).



I ate when I got home but instead of comfort the nausea persisted with results. I was glad I already had the day off but felt cheated that I wasn’t able to enjoy the day. A few hours later I was back to my old self, but it was different. The tricks from my past weren’t fixing problems.



June 6, 2011, I had just finished meeting minutes and helped set up the room for a meeting. I told myself that I could calm myself down. I was wrong, the receptionist saw me shut down and I asked her to call my dad. He took me home just moments before I spewed. Now I was getting scared. Episodes had never ever been so scheduled. I made an obgyn Doctor’s appointment for the next day. I asked my mom if she could come watch me because I was so worried. We watched “Arsenic and Old Lace” but I was ok. The doctor’s appointment went well and I had a pelvic ultrasound scheduled for the following Monday.



July 4, 2011, Seriously, you would think I’d be left alone to enjoy a holiday right? Wrong.



July 18, 2011, a follow up with the Doctor’s office on my ultrasound results were in. I had polycystic ovaries. I don’t have a hyper or hypo thyroid. They aren’t ruling out Endometriosis, Congestive Pelvic Syndrom, or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome or a tumor, and we are currently watching things. I asked if I was healthy enough to get pregnant and they told me that I would need to take a folic acid supplement before I start trying and prenatal pills because I’m at risk. They also asked me how much I exercised and said that there were women who exercised too much to have a healthy pregnancy



I’m writing this because I am a bit blindsided by this news, I’m processing this, emotional and concerned. It’s possible this is hereditary and others I’m related to can relate to my predicament. I was warned also by people that in their experience, if it was stress their insurance wouldn’t cover it. It was tiresome being diagnosed by family and friends, but my doctors have been great. I value them not misdiagnosing me and really truly listening to me.



So friends and family, have you had similar enigmatic problems?

6 comments:

Shiree July 19, 2011 at 2:33 PM  

Well, hopefully it all shows itself in time. I have a friend who has PCOS. Here is a blog post she recently shared. I thought you might find it interesting.

http://annabbreviated.blogspot.com/2011/07/much-anticipated-and-long-awaited-baby.html

I am sure it is very emotional, so hugs to you.

Brad & Mary July 19, 2011 at 4:33 PM  

Very Frustrating!!!! But know that we love you and are there for you.

Na July 21, 2011 at 1:47 PM  

You know that I am here for you always! It's so important to find caring doctors. I can understand a lot of the things you are feeling. Let me know if you need anything.

Jess July 22, 2011 at 5:36 PM  

Angie, I'm so sorry. I hope that, whatever it is, it's something minor. *big hugs*

ang July 24, 2011 at 9:28 AM  

Thanks everyone for your concern, prayers, and love. I know posting this was pretty out of left field. But the e-mails, messages and public comments have made me feel less alone with this. Its been especially good to learn what other family members have had and what I have a higher risk for. I have appreciated it all and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP