Dance Fever, or the Lack Thereof

>> Wednesday, July 15, 2009

This is a silly thing, but I am craving a night of ballroom dancing more than I EVER have in my entire life thus far.

The last time I danced was months ago. It was funny, Ryan and I pushed furniture out of the way in our little apartment. As fun as it was and can be, it just was not the same as a full floor of wood under my feet.

Nor were we able to really get into the dancing. It is a very very small front room. Since then, I have tried to coreorgraph a large group to go dancing but each and every single time it falls to pieces.

Biggest pet peeves ever, receptions that say they will have dancing but have no dancing until the tail end of the reception. I curse whichever wedding planner thought that idea up. Its painful to go to a reception that specifies that there will be dancing and leaves out that it won't happen until THE END of the reception.

I get my hopes up and then they are dashed to pieces by feeling awkward staying so long and so I leave and with it, leave whatever chance of really dancing I had.

And by really dancing, I mean ballroom and swing. I can be a bit of a snob about the whole clubbing idea...

"It just don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing do wa do wah"


Anyway, this desire only increased after watching the movie "Swing Kids" about people who swing danced in germany during WW II. The movie does a fabulous job of capturing the dance as an improvisational art form. The coreography is not rigid and has a free feel that is so nice to see in film.

Its interesting and sad to me that there aren't that many places to go dancing anymore.

After my computer crashed this spring I lost ALL my swing dance music, cha cha, waltzes etc. It was very very painful. However, I have been rebuilding my library and I think I have a good hour or two of dancing music.

Which means, its time to dust off my dancing shoes and get back in the rhythm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP