Liberation

>> Monday, January 7, 2008

It has been an absolutely manic Monday morning, but the hum of a new semester is still in the air, full of wait for it, progression! Fall semester I took off because I was utterly burned out, however, I think taking off that one semester nearly drove me insane, or to depression. My sister who is a school psychologist and I had a discussion in length about how people who go to work looking forward to the weekend, only to realize they will be back in the office in 48 hours, are on a road headed for depression.

It makes sense, especially if your job is simply that, a job. Good for right now, but in two or three years perhaps more of a hindrance than a help. I work in an office where there are people with both jobs and careers, and some who make a career out of a job. People who have careers can sense a person who has a job from 10 miles, they are kind to them but not wholly friendly. It is a very tight rope for anyone in an office job, you can’t be overly friendly, but you can’t be outright awful either, the politically correct attitude has utterly changed the work place. A man has to be very careful when giving a woman a compliment, typically it is so complicated and has way too many strings attached that it is simply easier to let the compliment go unsaid, the same is also applied for a woman giving a man a compliment.

So how I fit into this insanely difficult tight rope is, I am 21, I am newly married, I don’t drink coffee or alcohol, I am currently still working on my bachelors, I love school, and I typically work through my lunch so that I can go to class. After taking the semester off, I am thrilled to go back to this alienating process. I saw how difficult all the other labels made it for me to really have any friends in the office and progress is always a good thing. I am nice and helpful as goes with my job but the rest is all too complicated for me to even desire to look into. My interests are so different and my point in life. There were days when I went home and I felt a little more than abused by coworkers, there were even moments when I seriously considered looking for another job, but the other job I desired and hungered for was being a student.

Today is my first day of redemption. And the countdown to my bachelor’s is clocked in at 6 more semesters, approximately 2 more years. Then I can begin my career, then maybe I can become a grad student, only time will tell, but I know one thing The day that Ryan finds a job after he graduates I won’t be in this office, with bad communication left and right, instead I will be liberated!

2 comments:

Maren January 7, 2008 at 8:58 AM  

We all dream of liberation. Being stuck in a dead-end job, just one of the drone bees needed to make the hive of an office hum harmoniously, is not the way we people should want to live out our exsistence. We need to break the chains and embark on our own adventures.

Rebecca January 9, 2008 at 1:41 PM  

I have it planned out so that even if I'm stuck being a waitress for the rest of my life, that I'll be happy with that because I know I couldn't live working in an office everyday with the same view. I once heard that sometimes depression stems from a "metaphysical boredom" so I figure I'll always be trying something new in order to avoid monotony.

But, I will agree that liberation is one of the greatest feelings in the world!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP